A cosmetic makeover is a procedure or treatment used to improve the appearance of a smile. A smile makeover can include one or more cosmetic procedures, such as teeth whitening, dental veneers, and dental implants.
Cosmetic Dental Treatments
A smile makeover involves a combination of cosmetic dental treatments to brighten, improve, or correct the appearance of your smile. There is no one treatment that can completely address every concern with smiles, and everyone’s treatment plan is completely unique to them. However, a smile makeover does include a few common treatments. Here are some that are used most often.
- Teeth Whitening (or bleaching) – This is one of the most common treatments used in smile makeovers. Bleaching teeth is a great way to remove stains and make your teeth whiter and brighter. While teeth whitening can’t brighten the color of your enamel forever, it can lighten it to a noticeably whiter shade.
- Porcelain Veneers -Porcelain veneers are thin layers of porcelain that adhere to the front surfaces of teeth, typically by bonding to each tooth individually. This treatment can be used to correct a number of minor imperfections in a smile, including chips, cracks, and slight misalignments. If you suffer from discoloration due to tetracycline use or smoking, for example, porcelain veneers may be the way to go to restore a whiter appearance to your teeth.
- Dental Crowns & Inlays – If you have suffered from tooth decay, you may need a tooth restoration treatment like dental crowns or inlays to repair the damage and restore the function of your tooth. Both of these restorations involve covering your entire tooth after it has been prepared to hold a filling. They fit over the top portion of your tooth like a cap to restore the shape and structure of your tooth.
- Cosmetic Bonding: Teeth bonding is one of the most affordable cosmetic dentistry treatments. It is also one of the fastest, taking about an hour to complete. The procedure involves applying a composite resin material to the tooth and shaping it with high-intensity light. Then it is polished to make it shine just like your natural enamel. Dental bonding is a good option to fix small chips or cracks in your teeth that do not need to be removed. It can also be used to fill gaps between teeth.
- Orthodontics: Many patients with misaligned teeth, gaps between their teeth, or a poor bite may choose to undergo orthodontic treatment with braces or other appliances before undergoing their makeover procedure. When teeth are properly aligned, and in proper alignment, patients will experience optimal results from their makeover treatment.
To have a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Shirley Zao, please schedule an online appointment or call us at(925) 847-8790, and we will be happy to help.