Veneers are cosmetic restorations used to enhance the aesthetics of one’s smile and restore the teeth to their ideal state. They are used for a variety of dental procedures, making them highly versatile. They are wafer-thin, and hence, easy to fabricate and bond to the surface of the teeth.
What are veneers used for?
- Dentists use veneers to restore cracked or chipped teeth.
- Excessive gaps between adjacent teeth can be eliminated using veneers.
- Teeth that are naturally out of shape can be restored to their ideal contour using veneers.
- If your teeth have stained severely, veneers can be bonded to their surface to make them appear whiter.
- If your teeth are excessively worn out, they can be restored to their ideal size and shape using veneers.
What are the advantages of veneers?
- Veneers are highly durable
- The procedure involved in bonding them is quite simple
- They are long-lasting
- The dentist will not have to remove a large amount of enamel to accommodate them
- They can be customized according to the color of the adjoining teeth
- They prevent crack propagation and failure of the tooth
What is the procedure?
Patients will have to be declared as the right candidates for veneers before we commence the procedure. We will take x-rays of the teeth to get a better view of them. A thin layer of enamel will be removed by buffing the tooth to make space for the restoration. A dental impression will be taken and sent to a dental laboratory to be used as a reference for fabricating the restoration using dental-grade tooth-colored ceramic.
Once it is ready to be bonded, which will take a few days, the dentist will notify you and schedule a follow-up consultation. We will clean the teeth thoroughly and etch it using a suitable etching solution. The veneer will be placed on the tooth and checked for fit and comfort. If any modifications are required in its contour, the dentist will make them and bond it to the tooth. We use dental adhesives for the bonding process, which will then be hardened using a curing light. The veneer will be polished to enhance its luster.
To have a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Ko, please schedule an online appointment or call us at (925) 847-8790, and we will be happy to help.